Thursday 11 October 2012

Asperger's - The start of my working life

I first began work (I call it work but it was training) back in September 1988. It was what was called at the time 'Youth Training Scheme' and something I think would be good to have these days. I trained in the Pharmacy Dept at Guy's Hospital, which was a small dept with not so many staff. I didn't deal with the public as I did admin work. I mainly did typing and filing, with little phone work. I did this for a year and got on well with only two members of staff there. The head of the dept was OK, but she could be a bit cold at times, same with the supervisor I had.

After that I did part-time admin work in the Personel Dept there. Again this was a small dept and I dealt with only a few members of staff. And once more, I only did admin, mainly typing and filing, rarely answering the phone. Another in the background job.

Whether I had difficulties communicating verbally and by eye with staff I can't remember, but all that changed two months later when my p/t contract ended and I got a full-time job in the Registry. All things changed then, as I had a front-line job dealing with students and staff every day.

Looking back on it now, I think I must've been happier with those background jobs and not having to face the public. And when I did have to face students and staff on a daily basis, my Asperger's begun to kick in. Not so much at first, when there weren't so many students on the courses, but definitely later when the number of students increased a lot.

So, for those of you who are growing up now with AS, I have this advice. Find out what you are comfortable with and go for a job that fits that. I feel that if I had known I had AS way back when I started work, things would be totally different to what they are today and most definitely the situation I am in at the moment. (Might blog about that next time).

BTW, I now have a schedule of sorts for blogging. During the week I will talk about being green or living with Asperger's and at the weekend I will be talking about writing.

3 comments:

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

You make such a good point in your post Julie and I think it makes all the difference to people if they can find a job that suits them as much as possible.

Julie Day said...

Thank you, Deborah. If only I'd known what I was suited to earlier on, things would be so different.

Monica Fairview said...

Lovely of you to share your experience, Julie. Very good advice.