Friday 28 December 2012

An Aspergirl at Christmas - being social or not

Christmas is time for families to get together and have a fun and social gathering, but for someone like me who has Aspgerger's Syndrome it can be more anxious than fun. So I thought I'd give my take on how my Christmas went this year (last year was a disaster but this year was lots better). Christmas Eve and Day my mum and I were on our own and it was really nice and pleasant, in that we could do want we want and not have to worry about timing meals etc. Boxing Day was the day we were expecting my brother, my two teenage nephews and my brother's new girlfriend who we hadn't met yet. Mum was nervous as she didn't know what to expect from her and she hates doing meals for company. I did start to make an effort by asking my oldest nephew how he's getting on at college (he hates it cos he doesn't like the course he's doing and wants to train to do something else). Other than that that was all I really contributed talk wise. I listened mostly and let the others do all the talking. That is how it is for me at family gatherings. I sit there listening, and ask or chat now and then. This is just an example of how my Asperger's comes in to affect at these times.  I shall blog next year about how I have been at other family gatherings.

Watch out for these blogs to appear as e-articles next year, as I plan to release them as a set before eventually putting them altogether as an autobiography.

6 comments:

Kathryn Evans said...

I think your Aspergirl series is a great idea Julie - it's difficult for people with no experience of the syndrome to fully understand how difficult things can be for you and this is a great way to reach out. And I'm sure it should help others in your situation as well - maybe you should write a book about someone with Aspergers.

Jon M said...

Well done, Julie. I know how difficult this time of year can be and it's brave of you to share.

Julie Day said...

Kathryn. I have an idea for a series of children's books for 6-9 yo's and one of those will have a little girl with Asperger's, based on how I felt when I was that age.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

I think this series is a wonderful idea Julie.

Cara Cooper said...

Hi Julie, the best thing about you 'coming out' is that it helps people to understand and understanding is nine tenths of acceptance. Very grateful to you and looking forward to seeing you at next year's RNA events. The series is a fab idea, a real winner.

Julie Day said...

Thank you everyone who has said the series idea is a great idea. It has spurred me on to continue them and recreate them as e-articles next year.