Sunday 24 November 2013

An Aspergirl reviewing an ebook about an Asperboy

I have just read a really interesting ebook about a mother finding out her son has Asperger's Syndrome and how her and her family coped with bringing him up. The book is called 'David's Gift - Asperger's Syndrome' and is by Sally Thibault (I think that's how it's spelt). It is a memoir based on her life of finding out her son, David, has Asperger's and how her and her family coped with it as he got older. At home, at schools and colleges. Reading it, a few things struck me that were how I cope with it. Here are the things:

1. When David had to think, he went into their garden and walked round their tree. Connecting with nature. I have found this does help me when I start to get a sensory overload. The air and space frees my mind and calms me down. This piece of the book has given me the idea for an article I want to write about how nature can  help sensory issues. Still finding a magazine who might want such an article.

2. When David had a project to do that he liked, he concentrated and focussed on it with intent. I know I do that. This is one that that Aspies are good at, as I have already mentioned in blogs and videos.

3. This focus on something that you like can get good results with jobs that interest you. In the book, Sally tells us that David is now wanting a job to do with videos and computers, something he is really interested in. For me, that would me writing and marketing. Both which I know I focus on when I am doing it. I know with writing, when I start to get into the flow, I don't want to be interrupted (maybe that could be the same for all writers).

All in all, this was a really interesting book for me to read. From personal experience and my memories of my own childhood, I feel that boys with Asperger's react differently to things than girls with Asperger's do. Please correct me if I am wrong.

If you have Asperger's or a child with Asperger's, I recommend you read this book.

1 comment:

cat jones said...

Hi Julie,
sounds like this could be an interesting and useful read for me. The 'Asperboy' I work with spends time in the garden so your comments were rather illuminating.
Thanks
Cath
PS
see u soon!